Thursday, 25 August 2016

Quiz Night & Supper, Saturday September 10th

Just a reminder that it's time for the quarterly quiz night and supper on Sat Sept 10th (7pm doors open for 730pm first question)

Food order forms went out with the last Bulletin and food order deadline is Monday 5th Sept (not November !- typo on food order sheet). Spare forms at Herbies or email me.

It's BYO drink's and please order food in good time so we can cater efficiently.

If you don't have a full team (up to 6 adults) the let me know and we can make up some teams by joining couple or singles.

For those of you who have never attended - it's a very relaxed, fun and sociable event so if you are not a hardened quizzer don't worry.

Liz Ellis

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Tuesday, 23 August 2016

Huttons Ambo Produce Show 2016 - Report

Saturday August 20th was the 62nd Huttons Ambo Flower & Produce Show.

Despite the autumnal weather there were almost 400 entries in classes as varied as the heaviest marrow, the best compost, pasta jewellery and  even a Tweet about our village. There was a fabulous tea with plenty of cake and home-made elderflower cordial.





Thanks to all entrants, judges, helpers and attendees

You can download a copy of the final results here.



© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Monday, 15 August 2016

Huttons Ambo climbs Everest!??!

Huttons Ambo climbs Everest!

On Saturday the 24th September 2016 there will be a fund raising event for our Church by “climbing Everest”. 

The Church only receives funding through the generosity of those who live in Huttons Ambo (There is no external funding support from the Church or Government) and, as it is used by many in the Village for marriages, christenings, funerals as well as services on Sundays, if the Church is not supported by the Village it is possible that it would have to close and we could lose our Church.

The Plan: The Rector is going to lead us by climbing in all five parishes in the Benefice. In simple terms, 300 people, or equivalent, walking from the war memorial to the Church will have climbed collectively the height of Everest.  Cycle attempts count, dogs having four legs count twice, humans count once.

Each “climber” should obtain sponsorship or make a donation, so funds will be raised.  Tea, coffee and cake will be available at St Margaret's at a modest cost to all who partake and of course the organ and bells will play for 5 minutes as each 10,000 feet are reached.

The Route:  The direct route is straight up the road, but any route is acceptable, for instance, up Rakes Lane from the Old School to the top of the immediate ridge, turn right around the fields towards the Hall and thence to the Church.

Timings:  The Rector will “climb” in Huttons Ambo between 0900 and 1015, so the Church will be open from 0900 to 1200.

Evening Party:   There will be a party in the early evening for the whole Benefice organised by Welburn. It will be on a Nepalese theme and tickets will be £10 for adults and £5 for children. Sponsorship forms will be available, and are likely to be available from Herbie’s and on the web site – to be confirmed. 

Questions should be directed to Jeremy Bleasdale on 01653 – 690344

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Village Hall Fundraising Update

Fundraising Update – The Big Lottery bid Assessor visited the village hall and the bid team on August 2nd and we are awaiting a final decision regarding the award by the end of the month.
There are now 12 other applications in progress to various funders to support the purchase of equipment for the  proposed village hall refurbishment so we are hoping for some success with at least a couple of them.



© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Grass Raking at St Margaret's Church - Saturday 3rd Spetember 10am

Help needed at St Margaret’s Church.

Can anyone spare an hour or so to help rake up the cut grass in the back churchyard flower meadow?

This area is really beginning to take shape, in particular with the yellow rattle now doing its job in weakening the growth of the grass. However, it is very important to keep on top of the job of making the churchyard better and better by raking up the grass once it has been cut. In time this annual task will hopefully become less demanding. Any help on Saturday September 3rd from 10am for an hour or so will be very much appreciated. If you can bring a rake or a wheel barrow so much the better.

Thank you.

Contact: Rosa Naylor. 01653 695008 or minster.hill@btinternet.com 

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Don't forget - Huttons Ambo Annual Flower & Produce Show 2016 - Saturday 20th August

Huttons Ambo Annual Flower & Produce Show 2016 
NOT TO BE MISSED
 
Schedules and further details are on the website and available at Herbies. Entry forms have also been delivered to each house. Volunteers always needed on the day together with raffle prizes and your entries.
 
You don’t need to be green fingered to enter – there are lots of different classes including plenty of children so do take a look and try and enter something to put on a good show and support this annual village event – which has now been running for over 60 years !
 
Even if you don’t feel like entering yourselves – then come along and see all the exhibits and the prize winners and enjoy tea and refreshments from 4pm


© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Thursday, 11 August 2016

PARISH COUNCIL EXTERNAL AUDIT


The relevant pages of the Annual Return may be viewed here.  Registered voters in the Parish may examine the original by application to Jem Charles (parishclerk@huttonsambo.com).

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Sunday, 31 July 2016

Kirkham Weir and Sluices Options Appraisal Project – revised notes

Kirkham Weir and Sluices Options Appraisal Project – revised notes

The Environment Agency has revised the notes of the last (April) meeting of the community engagement group, you can download the revised notes here.

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

French Night - Pictures


A fantastic French Night tonight (Saturday 30th July) with wonderful entertainment from Jayne O'Ehley and Anita Topp, beautiful beef bourguignon from Fletchers of Norton, donations of lavender from several sources and stirling work in the kitchen from the Castletons.




















 There was much conversation, singing and a little dancing. It was alovely village event and raised more funds for hall refurbishment.



Thanks to everyone who supported and attended.





© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Friday, 15 July 2016

PARISH COUNCIL MEETING 12thy JULY - DRAFT MINUTES


1.         Welcome, Councillors present & Apologies
Richard Green (Chairman) and Cllrs. Andy Dorman, Jessie Garnett, and Simon Lealman, and Clerk, Jem Charles were present.  Apologies had been received from Cllr. David Banks.  One member of the public was also present.
           
2.         Minutes of the 2015/16 Annual Meeting and the May PC meeting
These were approved and signed as being a true record

3.         Matters Arising
a)  Copper beech on Village Green
No further work has been carried out.  Andy will contact Tom (Cundalls Tree Surgeons) to ascertain when he may be able to undertake the work.
b)  Superfast Broadband
Richard, David and Simon had attended a discussion event organised by Kevin Holinrake.  Representatives of several service providers and NYNET were present and it was considered very useful.
i.       Phase III of the NYNET superfast broadband project, to make a connection available to the remaining 25,000 properties in North Yorkshire, is due to go to tender in September 2016 for work to start in April 2017.
ii.      If BTOpenreach wins the contract Huttons Ambo will be connected by fibre optic cable during the contract period.  The Council had heard from BT that the estimated cost would be £60k.  Simon will contact BT to seek a breakdown of this sum to help assess alternatives and also to ascertain whether a cheaper option, which might enable connection as part of normal commercial activity, would be feasible by installing a spur from a cable along the A64 at High Lane End.  Andy will investigate whether there are any BT manhole covers or boxes in the vicinity.
iii.     If the contract is awarded to a provider reliant on wireless technology that company would become the sole ISP for superfast broadband.  However households would no longer require a landline telephone connection if they transferred to VOIP for the telephone service.
iv.    A Community funding option is available but it was not considered worth pursuing at least for the time being as the cost, relative to the probable uptake, would be likely to be prohibitive.
v.      It appears that NYNET consider that the Parish already has access to superfast broadband with Boundless Communications.  Jem will write to NYNET to disabuse them of this misconception and inform them that broadband speeds often fall well below 1mB/s or even fall to zero.  He will also ask that access to their coverage map be granted and to be kept informed of the progress of Phase III and how high on the priority list HA sits, given the size of the community and its proximity to Malton.
c) Potholes
Jem had sent a list of those greater than 40mm in depth to NYCC Highways.  These had (almost) all been filled within days.
d)  Back Lane gullies & soakaways
Richard had written to NYCC Highways and had met the local engineer who, after inspecting the gulleys, promised that the necessary work would be undertaken.
e)  Give and Gain
Two staff members from the Racing Welfare charity had volunteered to carry out some work to benefit the community.  They, with assistance from Andy, had cleared the pavement between the High and Low villages.  The Council had made a small donation in appreciation.  The remainder of Back and Buck Lanes pavements were cleared by Andy and Andy Clarke.  The Council expressed its thanks.
f)   Marie Curie tea party
The Meeting Point team had agreed to host this and to make the regular event a fund raiser.  They, very generously, donated the day’s takings to the charity and these, added to the donations by the community at the event and subsequently, provided a total of £132 which was gratefully received by the charity.

4.         New Matters
a)  Giant Hogweed
Jem had assisted John Shannon to treat the remaining infestation.  Treatment last year had been very successful but complete clearance might take one, or more, further follow-up treatments.  Andy & Jem will monitor the effectiveness of the treatment.
b)  Regular item in The Howardian
Richard had submitted articles about the PC in the past but this had lapsed.  It was agreed that this would again be worthwhile.  Richard will resume.
c)  Village bulletin
The Council agreed to contribute to the cost of printing by periodically reimbursing the cost of printer cartridges.
d)  Queen’s Awards for Voluntary Service
Jem will forward information to the Meeting Point team and the Village Hall refurbishment committee for information,

5.         Planning
a)  Gledhowe Cottage & Oaklea
Awaiting determination.
b)  Malton Enterprise Park
Awaiting determination.

7.         Finance
a)  Budget progress
     The report to 30th June was considered to show that the position was satisfactory.

8.         Any Other Business
a)  Sweet chestnut on Village green
            Simon suggested that the lowest branches should be removed to improve access for mowing.  Andy suggested that the fence could also be removed.  All Councillors will look at the tree to agree any action at the next meeting.
b)  Finger Post
The AONB has erected a sign indicating their contribution to the recent restoration.  Andy will consider how the Parish Council might similarly record its contribution.
c)  High Lane End bus shelter
Andy reported that a pane of glass has been missing for some time.  Jem will discover who is responsible for maintenance and request replacement.
d)  Hedge at Railway Cottages
Andy had received notification of an issue regarding the height of a hedge.  It was agreed that this was not a matter of public interest and therefore outside the competence of the Parish Council.  Andy will inform the resident of the name of a RDC officer who may be able to help.
e)  Pavement in Low Hutton
Simon reported that the vegetation in the accumulated debris had been sprayed which he considered pointless.  This was not part of the village maintenance contract.  Simon will arrange for the clearance of the debris by volunteers, himself included.
f)   Grass cutting
It was noted that the grass on the green and roadside edges along from the church were again rather long.  Only one invoice had yet been received, and settled.  Jem will contact Kevin asking for work to date to be invoiced and suggesting that another cut should be made soon.

9.         Date of Next meeting(s)
Tuesday 13th September and, provisionally, 15th of November 2016 at 7.30.

Jem Charles, Clerk to the Parish Council
parishclerk@huttonsambo.com


Signed:…………………………………………….(Richard Green, Chairman)


Date: ……………………………..

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Thursday, 7 July 2016

French Night - Sign Up Now!

Numbers signed up for French Night are low and we need at least another 20 people to make it viable.

If you wish to come and have not already done so then please sign up or email me before July 21st or we may need to cancel.

Due to work and holiday commitments, bar stock and food orders need to be made by 22nd, so you need to get signed up before then.

Please be kind enough to spread the word and if Herbie told you there will be snails for supper - don't believe him !!!!!

Liz

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Monday, 4 July 2016

Huttons Ambo Youth Club - July Report

Huttons Ambo Youth Club session on Friday July 1st visited St Margarets Church in High Hutton.






Simon Jackson rang the bells for the groups arrival and Michael Sessions led the children in some musical activity and gave them the chance to play the organ – with hands AND feet.



Sara Swindells and Alison Hewitt were the youth leaders for the night and organised a quiz around the church and surrounds too.



It was a lovely evening and great a chance for the young people to visit, explore and enjoy this important and special village place.

Thanks to the church and all those who supported the session.


© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Saturday, 25 June 2016

Huttons Ambo Flower & Produce Show - Saturday 20th August 2016

Local residents have probably received the schedule of classes and two entry forms for this year’s show by now. To anyone who’s not entered before, you don’t know what you’re missing! Experienced show exhibitors will already know that it pays to think ahead, so have a look at the schedule and the judges’ comments (links) from previous years’ shows and decide what you could grow, make or photograph before the show. There is no show without entries, so give it a try and good luck!

Judges comments (drinks)

Judges comments 2011 - 2015

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com
CHANGE OF DATE

The next meeting of the
Parish Council
will be held on the 
12th of July at 7.30

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Tuesday, 14 June 2016

PARISH COUNCIL ACCOUNTS 2015/16

PARISH COUNCIL FINANCES

The end of year report has now been prepared and audited by the internal auditor.

The  Transparency Code for Smaller Authorities requires that this information is made publicly available on a free to use website.

The following documents can be viewed via these links:







Parish Councillors for the year were:

Andy Dorman (Chairman)
David Banks
Jessie Garnett
Richard Green
Simon Lealman

Jem charles, Clerk to Huttons Ambo Parish Council

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Tuesday, 7 June 2016

Youth Club Report - Friday 6th June 2016

Great night at Youth Club on Friday 3rd June. The Clarks and The Swindells led the children in games on the green. Very competive rounders and dodge ball followed by squash and biscuits.



Thanks to Vince for preparing the pitch.

Next Youth Club will be Fri July 1st meet a the the church at 7pm for exploring and activities in the church yard and the chance to play the organ.


© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Minster Hill Cheese & Wine in Aid of St Margaret's Church - Saturday 2nd July

In the temporary absence of the meeting point over the next couple of months……..We thought we would invite anybody who would like to, to join us at 

Minster Hill for a Pate Cheese and Wine (first glass on the house) Lunch on Saturday 2nd July, between 12 midday and 2pm.


Entry for Adults £5. Children free.

Funds raised to help support St Margaret’s Church.

All welcome. 

Longer term residents of the village will know that this event is a revival of the Soup and Cheese lunches we used to have in the early new year to raise funds for our church.


If you would like to join us on 2nd July please telephone the Naylors on 01653698474 or e-mail on minster.hill@btinternet.com.


Do come and join us!



© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

French Night - Saturday 30th July - Village Hall

FRENCH NIGHT

Supper & Entertainment
Saturday July 30th     Village Hall

Entertainment from

Anita Topp (accordion) & Jayne O’Ehley (vocals)


Food Menu

French cheese & bread

Fletchers home-made Beef Bourguignon with petit pois & rice

Fletchers home-made Tarte Citron with cream

Your choice of tea or coffee

Veggie option will be ratatouille with rice (please specify when booking)

Fully licensed bar

Raffle with prizes including a months supply of butter from Butter Bees the new buttery in Malton.

Tickets for entertainment & supper £12.50 in advance

or £15 on door (with no guarantee of supper)
(£6 for under 16’s)

TICKETS IN ADVANCE ONLY AND PLACES LIMITED

BOOK YOUR PLACE AT THE TABLE – BUY TICKETS NOW

Closing date for bookings will be July 28th

Tickets from  

Liz 07968 981296 or 

Sarah 07737 785178

Sign up list at Herbies or info@huttonsambo.com



© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Wednesday, 1 June 2016

PLANNING APPLICATION 16/00849/FUL

The Council has received notice of an application for conversion, extension and alteration of Gledhow Cottage and Oaklea to make one 4 bedroom dwelling.  Comments have been requested by the 18th of June.

The application can be inspected at Ryedale House or at http://www.ryedale.gov.uk/residents/planning/view-a-planning-application.html by entering the application number.


If you have any comment please submit them directly to Ryedale District Council or contact one of your Parish Councillors.

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Saturday, 28 May 2016

PLANNING APPLICATION 16/00947/FUL

The Council has received a notice of an application for the erection of 7 starter units at Malton Enterprise Park, York Road.  Comments have been requested by the 20th of June 2016.

The application can be inspected at Ryedale House or at  http://www.ryedale.gov.uk/residents/planning/view-a-planning-application.html  by entering the application number.


If you have any comment please submit them directly to Ryedale District Council or contact one of your Parish Councillors.

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Monday, 23 May 2016

Marie Curie Blooming Great Tea Party - Meeting Point May 28th


Get together with friends and Family at Meeting Point in the Village Hall on 28th May 12-2pm and help Marie Curie raise money for people living with terminal illness and their families across the UK.

Please come and support the great work of Marie Curie.

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Saturday, 21 May 2016

Quiz Night & Supper - May 28th - Don't Forget

Don't forget the Quiz Night & Supper, Huttons Ambo Village Hall, Saturday May 28th, 7pm

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Meeting point - May 2016

Meeting Point in the Village Hall, Saturday May 28th , 12-2pm, with usual lunch fayre, Fair Trade, books etc and look out for some seasonal additions. All welcome


© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

Thursday, 19 May 2016

ANNUAL PARISH MEETING - DRAFT MINUTES

HUTTONS AMBO PARISH

DRAFT MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING
10 MAY 2016


1.         Welcome       
Andy Dorman (Chairman) welcomed, Cllrs Jessie Garnett, David Banks, Richard Green & Simon Lealman, Jem Charles (Clerk) and 2 members of the public.
           
2.         Chairman’s report:
a)     The council finances have been managed so as to provide a small reserve.  This will allow some flexibility to respond to needs as they arise.
b)     The road markings at the foot of Netherby Lane had been repainted.
c)     The new grass cutting contractor had started and appears to be going well, attracting favourable comment.
d)     The finger post and village signs have been restored.  A number of favourable comments have been made.  He thanked the AONB for their financial and practical help.
e)     A bulk bag of rock salt was bought in July but remains unused due to the mild winter.  He has installed a number of cut down wheelie bins in appropriate locations and these are now the roadside grit salt bins, replacing the heaps that NYCC no longer replenish.
f)       The early promising steps towards provision of superfast broadband had not materialized and communication with the, would-be, provider Boundless Communications, has been problematic.
g)     Warning signs have been erected either side of the bus shelters.
h)     He had attended an interesting seminar held by NYCC Highways Area 4 at which the difficulties of meeting demand with limited resources was discussed.  A site visit to view the silted up roadside drains along Back Lane was promised but this has yet to take place.  The number and size of potholes continue to increase and efforts to have these filled are on-going.
i)       The Council had facilitated two visits by John Shannon of the East Yorkshire Rivers Trust to treat one very large colony of Giant Hogweed and several scattered individual plants.
j)       The Council has participated in the Engagement Group set up by the Environment Agency to assess options for the management of Kirkham weir and sluices.  Rona Charles was present so Item 1(c) from the Council meeting agenda was brought into this item.  She gave an update and explained that these options have now been narrowed to two; constructing a more effective fish pass and partial lowering of the weir to a level yet to be determined, or complete removal of the weir.  There will be further discussion with the Engagement Group once these have been more fully evaluated.  The Council thanked Rona for her efforts and diligence in this exercise.
k)     There had been success in ameliorating the appearance of proposed new industrial units on the York Road trading estate.
l)       The Council has joined the working group on the drafting of the proposed Malton and Norton Town Plan for that part of the York Road trading estate that lies within the Parish boundary.  No meeting has yet taken place.

3.         Finance
Expenditure was less than that budgeted.  Savings have been made, mainly in the contingency allocation which was only partly depleted by the purchase of grit salt, and the inability of the contractor to carry out the village maintenance part of the contract.  These led to savings of £343 and £320 respectively.  There were also modest underspends on sundries and expenses.  A sum of £300 from the 2015/16 budget has been committed to the restoration and repair of the fingerpost and village signs.

The Council’s expenditure was £1993 and income £2750 producing a balance carried forward of £4190.
  
4.         Public Questions & Statements
a)     Broadband  Considerable frustration was expressed at the slow speed of the available network.  Frequently only 7-800kB/s could be achieved.
This was acknowledged as a real problem and the Council would continue to attempt to find a solution.



Signed:……………………………….(Chairman, 2016/17)   Dated:………………….

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com

PARISH COUNCIL - DRAFT MINUTES OF MAY MEETING

HUTTONS AMBO PARISH COUNCIL

DRAFT

MINUTES OF MEETING ON 10th MAY 2016

1.         Election of Chairman
Richard Green was proposed as Chairman by David Banks.  This was seconded by Jessie Garnett.  Richard accepted nomination and, there being no other proposals, was unanimously elected.

2.         Welcome, Councillors present & Apologies
Richard Green (Chairman) and Cllrs. Andy Dorman, David Banks, Jessie Garnett, and Simon Lealman, and Clerk, Jem Charles were present.  One member of the public was also present.
           
3.         Minutes of the March meeting were approved and signed as being a true record

4.         Matters Arising
a)  Copper beech
David Bayes has not had time available yet, but he, or Tom from Cundalls (Tree Surgeons) will cut the branch in due course and Andy will cut up and dispose of the wood.
b)  Superfast Broadband
Richard, David and Simon plan to attend a discussion event being held by Kevin Holinrake.  It was agreed that provision of a fibre optic connection to the network was preferable to wireless but no plans exist, or are imminent, for installation.  Experience elsewhere suggests that evidence of demand might encourage investment.  Richard will draft a pro forma for distribution house to house to gather data on the level of demand.  Andy will contact acquaintances in Rutland and Denbigh Dale to learn from their experience.
Consideration may be given to provision of infrastructure by private subscription once demand is known.
c) & d)       Kirkham Weir & Sluice engagement group & Finger Post & Village Signs
These items had been covered in the preceding Annual Parish Meeting
e)  Barneygate Lane End blocked drain
This had been attended to by NYCC Highways but had soon become blocked again.  Jem had followed up and work is believed to be in hand.
f)   YLCA membership
It was decided that the annual subscription was not warranted and membership will be allowed to lapse.

5.         New Matters
No matters had been raised.

6.         Planning
a)  Village Hall alterations
Support for the proposals has been sent to Ryedale DC.  It was regretted that no provision for a children’s play area had been included in the proposals.

7.         Finance
a)  Financial Governance Statement 2015/16
This was approved and duly signed.
b)  Accounting Statement 2015/16
This was approved and duly signed.
c)  Budget progress
     The report to 30th April was considered to show that the position was satisfactory.

8.         Any Other Business
a)  “Slow, Children” signs
            Andy suggested that the appearance of the posts of the new signs might be improved by painting.  The Council decided that it would be preferable to leave them as they are.
b)  Potholes
Simon had drawn up a comprehensive list of potholes meriting attention.  Jem had measured these and prepared a shorter list of those which met the strict criterion (45mm in depth) now being applied by NYCC before action is taken.  Jem will forward this list to Area 4, NYCC Highways, copied to Richard Marr and Sharon Fox, and seek confirmation that they will be filled.
The blocked gulleys and soakaways down Back Lane were to be discussed on site with Sharon Fox of NYCC Highways, but efforts to set a date had proved fruitless.  Richard and Jem will discuss further and Richard will, subsequently, contact Richard Marr (Area $ NYCC Highways).

c)  Give & Gain
Jem had been approached by Paul Lodge of the charity Racing Welfare to ask whether there was a task they could undertake on the 20th of May, as volunteers, to demonstrate the industry’s commitment to the community.  Jem will suggest that they undertake clearing of the pavements.  The Council will consider making a donation at the next meeting.
d)  Marie Curie Tea Party
The Marie Curie charity has suggested that communities hold fund raising tea parties..  It was considered that Meeting Point would be best placed to respond.  Richard will forward the correspondence to the organisers.
e)  Outgoing Chairman
David thanked Andy for all his work and this was roundly endorsed by all.

9.         Date of Next meeting(s)
Tuesday 19th July and, provisionally, 13th of September 2016 at 7.30.


Jem Charles, Clerk to the Parish Council
parishclerk@huttonsambo.com


Signed:…………………………………………….(Richard Green, Chairman)


Date: ……………………………..

© 2016 www.huttonsambo.com